LC78 HERCULES ROOF CONVERSION
Aerodynamic design: To minimise wind resistance & fuel consumption
Colours: Black, White or Beige
Fabric: 400gram UV-resistant rib-lock waterproof canvas with sealed seams
Roof insulation: Polyethylene closed-cell foam & insulating quilt
Lighting: Two stock lights for reading / Three LED diffused lights
Cargo: Integrated roof cargo tracks allow for small roof-rack or load bars
There’s no denying the convenience of a rooftop tent, but that’s not to say the solution doesn’t have its shortfalls…
1. You lose the ability to pack bulky items on your roof-rack
2. It may raise your vehicle’s center of gravity
3. Reduces aerodynamics, and…
4. May prevent access to underground parking
But most of all, a rooftop tent doesn’t quite provide as many benefits as an all-out camper solution, where you get to enjoy simultaneous access to your tent, as well as your vehicle’s kitchen / storage area – no matter how bad the weather. Well, that’s where our roof conversion comes in…
We can’t think of a more capable overland solution for two of the most capable overland vehicles. While our Icarus conversion kits are designed solely for Land Rover Defender owners, our more recent Hercules Roof Conversion is designed to suit Toyota Land Cruiser Troopy models – 75 & 78 series.
No matter which of these iconic vehicles you own, the conversion is available in kit form and can be shipped to any corner of the globe. The job takes about 1-2 days to complete, and once done, you’ll then have access (via an internal roof opening) to your tent, your clothes, your cupboards and your kitchen – all in one supremely capable and compact package.
The roof conversion does away with having to climb up and down ladders, and also frees up packing space where you now have the option of mounting a full-size roof-rack. Bear in mind, however, that packing heavy items on top of your vehicle’s roof will affect how easy it is to open, so some experimenting will be needed to determine what works for you.
Otherwise, the roof takes seconds to unlatch and open, and thanks to the flip-up bed and mattress, you not only have access to your clothing and cupboards, you also get to stand upright while changing. Lastly, the roof can be closed with all your bedding inside, which means you never have to deal with stuffing away a sleeping bag, and you don’t have to find packing space for your duvet and pillows. Provided your bedding is relatively neat and flat, it’s all stored up top and is just a latch-and-flip away.
Overlanding has never been so easy, so convenient, and so unbelievably capable. It’s the ultimate overland solution for two ultimate overland vehicles.
LOAD RATING FOR CARGO RAILS:
The load rating for the cargo rails on the roof is 50kg. It is important to note that where the load is located on the roof, will determine how easy or difficult it is to open the tent.
It is always suggested to shift heavier loads towards the front of the tent, and much lighter loads, like a solar panel, to the rear.
Width: 1433 mm
Added height: 140mm
Mattress Dimensions: ( two piece)
116kg + effective weight
- Toyota, Land Cruiser 78, 1999
- Toyota, Land Cruiser 78, 2000
- Toyota, Land Cruiser 78, 2001
- Toyota, Land Cruiser 78, 2002
- Toyota, Land Cruiser 78, 2003
- Toyota, Land Cruiser 78, 2004
- Toyota, Land Cruiser 78, 2005
- Toyota, Land Cruiser 78, 2006
- Toyota, Land Cruiser 78, 2007
- Toyota, Land Cruiser 78, 2008
- Toyota, Land Cruiser 78, 2009
- Toyota, Land Cruiser 78, 2010
- Toyota, Land Cruiser 78, 2011
- Toyota, Land Cruiser 78, 2012
- Toyota, Land Cruiser 78, 2013
- Toyota, Land Cruiser 78, 2014
- Toyota, Land Cruiser 78, 2015
- Toyota, Land Cruiser 78, 2016
- Toyota, Land Cruiser 78, 2017
- Toyota, Land Cruiser 78, 2018
- Toyota, Land Cruiser 78, 2019
- Toyota, Land Cruiser 78, 2020
- Toyota, Land Cruiser 78, 2021
- Toyota, Land Cruiser 78, 2022